History of Sewerby
St. John the Evangelist Church
The church of St. John the Evangelist was erected in 1847, at the sole expense of Mr Yarburgh Graeme (Later to be known as Yarburgh Yarburgh) who was at this time the 'High Sheriff of Yorkshire'. The church was designed by Messrs. Scott and Moffatt, of London and is built in the Transition Norman style.
The building includes chancel, nave, north transept, south porch, a small tower and spire containing two bells. A very fine Norman arch divides the nave from the chancel. All the windows are filled with stained glass. In the transept are two marble tablets - one to Yarburgh Yarburgh, Esq., who died in 1856, and the other to John Greame, Esq., and Ann Elizabeth, his wife.
The Ship Inn
In 1823, a two-storey building situated at the junction of Back Lane and Seagate was listed as an alehouse bearing the title "Bottle and Glass". The first licence authorising the sales of ale was granted to Mr Robert Carsley in 1823. The alehouse was closed and rebuilt in 1846 and upon re-opening was called "The Ship Inn".
During the period of 1950 to 1966 many modifications were made to the building. These included the addition of a kitchen, dining room and a central bar serving both the lounge area and games room. Today the Inn is owned by the Mansfield Brewing Company who in turn is owned by the Wolverhampton & Dudley Brewery. Visit The Ship Inn by clicking here
Leys House - Village School
The village school close to the church of St. John the Evangelist in Church Lane was built in the year 1849. It catered for the educational needs of boys and girls from Marton and Sewerby, aged 5 to 12 years. There were only two classrooms with the main room acting as a Sunday school.
The school was at first supported by the patron but it received an annual government grant by 1876-1877. Attendance was about 50 pupils in the 1860's but varied between 32 and 46 pupils from 1914 to 1932 The school temporarily closed in 1948 due to structural damage with the children being sent to Flamborough.
It closed for good in 1949 and was changed to a private residential property.